Where in AS 1554.1 Does it say that a butt weld also qualifies some fillet welds

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions Where in AS 1554.1 Does it say that a butt weld also qualifies some fillet welds

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chestablue
    Spectator

Hi,

I have read in previous posts that butt welds do not qualify any fillet welds in AS 1554.1, but I have been told numerous times that a butt weld "does" qualify some fillets. I thought that I have read it at some point also, however, I can not find it now. Can anyone help me find the clause that states that butt welds "do" qualify some fillets, or am I dreaming?

Thanks

cassgazz
    Spectator

Might be referring to the welder qualification section – Table 4.12.2.3, where welding of a butt weld qualifies a fillet.

I cannot see how a butt weld procedure would qualify a fillet weld, as the range of qualification for fillets is either single or multi-pass.

nakarin_welding
    Spectator

Might be referring to the welder qualification section – Table 4.12.2.3, where welding of a butt weld qualifies a fillet.

I cannot see how a butt weld procedure would qualify a fillet weld, as the range of qualification for fillets is either single or multi-pass.

Can’t refer because procedure qualification and Welder qualification are different.

daveo84
    Spectator

If you were using AS 4041 it would be true as butts qualify the welder for fillets also

fumes
    Spectator

Butt welds already qualify all fillets except 3F and 3G up and down as the parameters are different now with the size of the fillets will refer to what the engineer has stipulated on the drawing. now the welder must qualify to those size given in the engineer drawings but remeber a single pass the size is given from the size qualified and everything below and the multi-run the size of the weld and above the welder can not go past these parameters or another wps has to written in regards to this. refer to AS/NZS1554.1:2011 4.1.3

dieselofdog
    Spectator

Procedure Qualification is different to welder qualification.  Two seperate things.  This is very important to understand.  Cant stress that enough.

Procedure Qualification is testing the mechanical properties of the welded joint.  The essential variables in Table 4.11 are variables which changed outside the ranges specified then the procedure needs to be requalified.  BUTT WELDS Clause 4.1.2 9(b) If using a prequalified joint (which is only good thing about this standard is the amount of these) and qual the procedure, the this WPS can be used in all positions.  Butt welds only no mention of Fillets  read down further in the standard 4.1.3 then then tells you the ranges and positios to qual a fillet.  It is based on leg length size not material thickness (this is also a common misunderstanding in industry).  All of the Pressure equipment codes qual fillets by doing butts.  AS1554 is a pain. 

Welder quals- are testing the welders ability.  So we use table 4.12.2 A to select what test we give our welder to do to qual him for the job we are undertaking.  Eg a 6G pipe covers a welder to weld any position as this is considered to be the hardest test to complete.

Hope this helps 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.