Welder Quals

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions Welder Quals

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Inspector Gadget
    Spectator

If a welder welds a production double V butt first in the 4G position then back grinds and finishes it off in the 1G position, what range of qualification can the welder then be qualified too for 4G (i.e. Full peno butts or just partial pen butts in 4G?). The WPS is qualified for double V 4G and 1G to AS 1554.1.

Thanks
    IG.

Ballbearing
    Spectator

IG,
    You mention a production joint and then you ask what thickness is he qualified for ?
    Are you using a production weld to qualify the welder ?
    Is it to AS 2980 ?
    If so I would say (IMHO) that he would be qualified for 2 x Deposited Weld Metal in the 4G position.
    What thickness ?
    Cheers,
    BB

Inspector Gadget
    Spectator

Hi BB,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes using a production weld to qualify welders.

I was just wondering if a 4G and 1G (fixed double V butt) would also qualify a welder for 4G full peno butt welds to AS1554 or AS2980? (WPS qualified to AS1554.1 SP).

Cheers
    IG

Ballbearing
    Spectator

IG,
    Where does it allow production welds to be used to qualify welders in AS 2980 ?
    If you complete an AS 2980 4G weld test you automatically get the 1G so your welders are qualified to weld the production joint.
    Your situation (dual positions) is not dealt with in either code (that I can see), probably because performing on a test coupon as per the code is the requirement,
    Regards,
    BB

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.