using AS1554 for pressure piping

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions using AS1554 for pressure piping

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    wazza
    Spectator

hello, has anyone come accross this before?

client stipulates AS1554.1 for pressure piping,

Tyco concrete lined pipe used for transporting water at pressure, as far as i know AS1554 shall not to be used for pressure piping.

my question, is this allowed?

Flash
    Spectator

Wazza

this is an ongoing issue

AS1579-2001 Arc welded steel pipes and fittings for water and waste water refers to AS1554.1 SP so all tyco pipe is welded in accordance with AS1554.1

so one could argue why would any of the other joints require any more

another factor is that these are concrete lined so it could be argued that the steel is more of a mould then pressure retaining component, but I do not buy that

but this being said OHS act and their relevant agencies treat anything greater than 50Kpa as pressure retaining and therefore is pressure equipment, ultimately it is the asset owners right to design, specify the application standard but I would not like to defend the use of AS1554.1 for pressure retaining welds in a court of law if someone was hurt or property damaged as a result of a weld failing, if you read the scope of AS1554.1 you will understand why

In my opinion I do not understand why someone would specify AS1554.1 for pressure retaining purposes and believe it should be AS4041, but this is just my opinion

It is indeed strange that AS1579 specifies AS1554.1 but you look at who is on the committee WS-009 (the committee that writes the standard) it might give you an idea, it might be commercial interests that has driven it in this direction

To answer your question, is it allowed I can not categorically say one way or another but it does appear that it has been accepted before today, this does not mean I agree with it

It will be interesting to see others responses
    R
    Flash

wazza
    Spectator

thanks for reply flash,

understandable for storm water or waste water but not for pressures way above 50kpa , standards are a minimum requirement
    AS1554.1 is not to be used for pressure piping. I agree AS4041 is appropriate. We do seem to have a water pipe burst on a weekly bases in adelaide but i am unaware of the cause.Could be totally unrelated to welded joints.

This pradox must have been going on for years.
    other replies welcome

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.