removing a process

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions removing a process

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wazza
    Spectator

removing a process

« Sent to: Flash on: Today at 07:33:56 AM »
    Remove

——————————————————————————–
    hello flash,

we are currently using a single sided full pen. 6G butt weld WPS qualified to AS4041 and AS1554.1,it has a GMAW root and a FCAW multiple run fill and cap so basically it is a multiple process procedure.in essential varriables you cant change a process .my 1st question is, can you remove a process? (we want to do away with the GMAW root run) and still maintain compliance to AS1554.1,my 2nd question is if a 6G butt qualifies all fillets do you have to put a GMAW root run in a fillet joint using above mentioned WPS ?

comments welcomend from all       

control-arc
    Spectator

g’day wazza
    in AS 3992 – pressure equipment – welding and brazing qualifications which covers  welding qualification for AS 4041. if you look in the essential variables and the notes to those variables it states a process can be deleted from a WPS providing the joint thickness is within the thickness range for the remaining process.
    That being said trying to do the root run with flux core is extremely difficult its not really suited for root run, i don’t know what position your  actual job is in but i remember doing 8f flux core ticket with 1g rotating pipe was hard enough, the slightest wobble or travel speed change and you can say goodbye to root fusion or blow through. It can be done but i would personally qualify a new WPS and go through all the testing again if your going to do it.
    Fillets wouldn’t have the same problem but often a procedure qualified as a butt weld lacks the “power” amps and volts to get the adequate root penetration, it depends on your procedure. i personally qualify butt welds as butt only and do a separate fillet WPS and welding personnel qualification, but i work in a small company in a big company this might get expensive

wazza
    Spectator

howdy control arc thanks for your reply

according to AS3992 you can remove a process as long as you stay in thickness range but i cant find a reference in
    AS 1554.1     
    we want to do the FCAW in the 1G fixed position on a butt 300mm long and weld the circs as per GMAW/FCAW the client requires compliance to AS1554.1 are you allowed to mix codes in a wps i thought that the higher code AS3992 over rides the lesser AS1554.1 as you have probabley guessed these procedures were in place before i started on the job which is pressure piping but the client has designed it to AS1554.1 therefore removing the GMAW is allowed,whats your thoughts on this

control-arc
    Spectator

check AS 1554.1 clause 4.2 (a) note 1
    procedures qualified to AS 3992 can be used for AS 1554.1 providing you’ve got records/evidence of the tests done when qualifying the  WPS to 3992. The WPS also has to be within the essential variables of AS 1554.1 so you’ll have to check through that. note there is a new AS 1554 – 2011 some variables have changed and been added.

AS 1554.1 doesn’t really have a clear yes or no answer for deleting a process. not that i can find anyway.

wazza
    Spectator

thanks for the input control-arc     

yes i came to the same conclusion as you AS1554.1 doesnt say you can but it doesnt say you cant

Flash
    Spectator

Sorry I missed this one
    I will respond shortly
    R
    Flash

Ballbearing
    Spectator

Wazza,
    Have a look at AS/NZS 1554 Part 1 1.2 Exclusions – it does not apply to Pressure Piping.
    Regards,
    BB

wazza
    Spectator

hello bb,

it appears that AS1554.1 has an identity crisis if a client is stipulating it for pressure piping

cheers from wazza

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.