Qualification of welding positions

Home Forums General AS3992 Questions Qualification of welding positions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ariel
    Spectator

Weld performed on plate butt in 1G position will qualify weld in same position on 150 NB pipe or greater.
    However the same rule does not apply for plate welded on 3G and 4G which qualifies welding in 1G.

Any one have gone through with discussion on this subject matter?

Admin
    Spectator

Are you talking about welding procedure qualification or operator qualification

In accordance with AS3992

for welding procedures if impacts are not required 1G covers all positions but 3GVU
    if impacts are required any change in position requires re qual

In practice this may not be adequate to ensure you have proven the process and you might want to qualify specific joints to cover the work you are doing

for operators
    1G plate covers, 1G plate and 1G pipe over 150NB (anything other than 1G/2G and it is greater than 500NB)
    I hope this helps
    R
    Admin

Just out of interest in this topic for procedure qulification you state that if a 1G weld is done and it requires impact testing then a fundamental change in welding position requires further qualification which is clearly stated in AS3992 table 5.1.4b.
    So if a 6G pipe butt weld is done for a procedure qualification and impact testing is required does this cover the 5G and 2G position or does impact testing have to be carried out on two more seperate procedure qualifications to cover these fundamental change in welding postions.
    Bearing in mind if there are no impacts required on a 6G procedure qulification then this covers you for all positions.

Regards,

TTT

cassgazz
    Spectator

Just out of interest in this topic for procedure qulification you state that if a 1G weld is done and it requires impact testing then a fundamental change in welding position requires further qualification which is clearly stated in AS3992 table 5.1.4b.
    So if a 6G pipe butt weld is done for a procedure qualification and impact testing is required does this cover the 5G and 2G position or does impact testing have to be carried out on two more seperate procedure qualifications to cover these fundamental change in welding postions.
    Bearing in mind if there are no impacts required on a 6G procedure qulification then this covers you for all positions.

6G covers all positions, except vertical down – if a macro is taken from each position to be qualified. If impact testing is required, there is no requirement where they are taken from. 

To cover yourself, you could have impacts taken on each macro sample.

Ballbearing
    Spectator
    Flash
    Spectator

This is an interesting question that I have come across before
    the standard stated if impacts are required a change in position constitutes an essential variable
    therefore theoretically a change from 6G is a change in fundamental position
    but in a practical stand point, an increase in heat input is the issue, not because of the heat but in my opinion because higher heat input typically means slower travel speed and therefore larger runs, which typically means lower impacts

FYI you can not take impacts from macro sample, I think you are getting mixed up with hardness testing

Talk soon Guys
    Flash

cassgazz
    Spectator

FYI you can not take impacts from macro sample, I think you are getting mixed up with hardness testing

Yes, 3 months off and not thinking straight. Glad to see someone is on the ball. Sorry for the mis-information.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.