prep for full pen in PFC/UB

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions prep for full pen in PFC/UB

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Blazing
    Spectator

Just interested to hear how others are preping full penetration butts in PFC & UB etc.

I have guys bevelling from inside of flange with mouse hole – single bevel – so as to weld root, fill & cap on inner lower flange, flip structure over weld root, fill & cap inner upper flange, backgouge & lay backing run on outer bottom flange then flip it back over, backgouge & backing run outer top flange – with filling mouse hole.

Makes alot more ease & sense to backgouge & garantee full pen in my opinion. Its just opened a can of worms with guys saying they have never done this before, or saying to prep from outside flange, lay thier root inside of flange then backgouge from the outside & fill & cap. I have never done this, I've always layed my root down bevel side (which I'm sure is the correct method) especially when following a WPS (which has the root form side 1). Also laying the root from this method (side 2 first) would be a fairly non penetrive looking weld I would think on inside of flange.

Brogden-85
    Spectator

I am no inspector but when fabricating skids/frames from ub/uc I have all ways prepped on the inside so the back gouging is on the out Side of the beam and is easy to gouge the compleat length. I also put a mouse hole in the web as to be able to weld the full length and being able to gouge from the out side let you gouge right into the middle section where the mouse hole is and the one spot I would be most likely to have got some inclusions. So I can gouge right back to clean metal and fill it up with ease.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.