Pre qualified Joint configurations

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions Pre qualified Joint configurations

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    arcstrike
    Spectator

Can anyone give some guidance on the angle of preperation shown on the pre qualified joints in Appendix E. For example T-C5 joint shows the angle of preperation at 60 deg for FCAW and the partial prep T-P5 shows the angle of prep at 45 deg for FCAW.

there are a number of other preperations that seem to have this miss print as well.

ASNZS
    Spectator

Bloke, they different joints, with different variables, one has a root gap, the other closed. the angle is set for one and variable for the other, depending on position.

arcstrike
    Spectator

I probability didn’t clarify the question betterin my first post. I find it hard to believe that for a prequalified joint partial pen the angle of preperation is 45deg and for a full pen with root opening the angle of preperation is opened out a further 15 deg to 60.

ASNZS
    Spectator

As with all these ‘prequalified preparations’, they are only a small part of the whole process of qualifying a procedure. All the other components of the PQR-consumables, amps, volts, travel speed etc with which the variables of a WPS, can be written, are at the discretion of the operator producing the coupon. I once had a welder qualifying an ASME coupon, with a 5mm root gap. I suggested it was a big gap, and everyone else would have to replicate it. He just said ‘i like big root gaps’

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.