Newbie Questions.

Home Forums How to use the Forum Getting Started Newbie Questions.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chopps
    Spectator

G'day, I am currently looking at getting back into welding after working in other areas for a while and was just wondering if someone could clear a few things up for me, you see even tho I have been welding on and off for 12 years I have never gotten any qualifications. All of my welding jobs have been thou word of mouth and know one ever asked what qualifications I had. Now that I've started looking for welding jobs again I've noticed everyone wants qualified welders, the most common requirement being 2nd class MIG. All I find when I google this is more jobs asking for this qualification.
    So my questions are:   
      -what is a 2nd class welder and how do I get this ticket?
      -How does this relate to the standards I've found on this site? (AS1554, AS3992 etc)
      -If down the track I wish to work in one of the mines in WA or QLD, what qualifications would I need?
    Any information would be much appreciated on any of the questions above.
    Thanks in advance.
    Chopps.

control-arc
    Spectator

g’day
    second class welder is the term used for welding operators who have had informal training and have learnt skills through work and employers. A second class welding operator may be highly skilled but just doesn’t have the “piece of paper” to show it.

The standards such as AS1554 and AS3992 state basically without going into great detail that all welds must be made to a proven Qualified Welding Procedures, that welding operators must be competent to complete the required weld and that employers must provide proof that the welding operator is competent. 
    If the welding operator is certified through formal training and has welding tickets “1st class” the employer can chose to use these certifications as proof to comply with the code. If the welding operator does not have tickets the employer must show that the person is competent and this is done through weld tests.  A lot of employers tend to test all operators 1st or second Class before hiring anyway but the 1st class welder may be called to the job interview/weld test first.

As far as the mines are concerned if you get welding certifications it will obviously increase your chances. Some Tafe collages also run mine specific induction courses which cover subjects like O.H&S for working in mines, confined space working and working at heights. these would also help your case.

Chopps
    Spectator

Thanks heaps for that, all makes sense now.

dylanwells
    Spectator

hi im new here too. as i read this its seems clear to me now. i never knew this. just keep away from accident.

imcristian10
    Spectator

thank you

fumes
    Spectator

In regards to the Mine jobs if you wish to get on. Most mine sites require a formal certification of a trade background i.e Cert III in Engineering, thats if you want to go up there as a welder. If you do have the skills and can provide evidence of these skills PM and we can discuss getting your Cert III.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.