NDE Times

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions NDE Times

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    daveo84
    Spectator

I am just after information on NDE testing times.  I am in charge of my QA department and also weld mapping and organising NDE Testers.  I'm wondering if there is a rule of thumb for UT testing on butt welds and MPI testing on fillets and butts.  I know if the technician see's something in UT they go back over to find depth, exact position etc.  We have a new company doing our testing and I want to see how quick they are going plus I want to try and make the planning of the testers for efficient.  If anyone has any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ballbearing
    Spectator

Daveo84,
    How long is a piece of string ?
    There is no way possible of calculating times required.
    A weld with no defects is obviously going to be quicker to test than a weld with defects.
    A weld that has been cleaned appropriately is going to be much quicker than a weld where the technician has to clean it himself.
    A weld that has been clearly identified for NDT and is easily located is going to be quicker than a weld the technician has to hunt for.
    I could go on …….
    Even with two qualified UT techs you could have totally different times for the same weld based on their experience so I think you are on a mission impossible trying to calculate testing times.

Bottom line, forget all about speed when it comes to NDT (especially UT) – you want a thorough job done and that takes time.
    Cheers,
    BB

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.