Miller PipeWorx RMD & Pro Pulse machine V’s Weld procedures

Home Forums General MIG/GMA Miller PipeWorx RMD & Pro Pulse machine V’s Weld procedures

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shane Kavanagh
    Spectator

Id like to ask if anyone has used the Miller PipeWorx welding machines and what affect it had on your weld procedures in a fabrication workshop environment?

These machines use RMD and Pro Pulse technology developed by Miller, my understanding is that the GMAW process on the machine include a Modified Short Circuit transfer mode as well as a spray mode and a pulse mode. Additional to the MIG process the machine has FCAW and GTAW. There are 2 x wire feeders for GMAW and FCAW.

Deposition rates are up to 30% hirer with this technology for both Carbon and stainless steels, this means your current weld procedures would go out the window as you would defiantly be out of the essential variables in the Australian Codes.

So when one runs a weld procedure using this machine and in particular uses the Pulse function or RMD function of the machine, will these parameters need to be noted on the weld procedure? Would say the pulse currents/voltages upper and lower need to be recorded and would the frequency need to be record?

I assume there are also implications as far as calculating heat input, im sure it can be done, but will we now have to take the upper and lower voltages and amps x travel speed then average it out? Will the pulse interfere with measuring equipment? or will settings take on of machine readouts suffice?

There does not seem to be anything in AS3992 with regards to using pulse with the short arc transfer mode, nor for that matter anything on pule GTAW. As the publication date is 1998 this dose not surprise me. I wonder if puse technology will be addressed in the new edition? Whenever that may be.

I would appreciate any comments with regards to the above and in particular if anyone has used these machines and run weld procedures with them

Thanks in advance.
    Kav

Kav

dieselofdog
    Spectator

Hi,

Few points.

There are 4 main types of transfer modes in GMAW process, dip, globular, spray and pulse. 

So if your WPS have been qualified with say spray trans, when you buy new machines and they have pulse trans you are required to re-qual your WPS. 

If qualifying to a pulse proceedure, this procedure becomes pretty much a machine (or type) specific.  As a change in any pulse parameter is a change in essentail variable.  In my experience many w/shops have invested in one or two pulse machines but not many use them in pulse mode as any procedure quals on them are not transferable across the rest of there welding machines. 

Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.