Do Welding quals under AS3992 Qual for AS1554?

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions Do Welding quals under AS3992 Qual for AS1554?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ozziepete
    Spectator

If i test a welder and use RT allowed for under AS3992 will he then be qualified under AS1554.1 (which requires a macro)?

Flash
    Spectator

Hi Pete
    my take on this is as follows

If a welder does a test coupon to a AS3992 WPS and it is tested to AS3992 yes they are qualified
    if the welder does a test to AS1554.1 WPS and it is RTed to AS3992 then by the code no, you can not mix codes, you can around this be seeking client dispensation and keeping this on record of the RT

But there are a number of issues you need to watch ie GMAW in AS3992 can not be RTed only because of the risk of lack of fusion going un detected, so you must do bends with the RT, you should consider this also with GMA test coupons

So why does AS1554.1 have this stipulation, a macro is the only method of verifying that the correct number of runs have been used and the test coupon is in accordance with the WPS, as the number of runs is an essential variable in AS1554.1

Hope this helps
    R
    GF

Ballbearing
    Spectator

Hi Flash,
    My take on the question is a bit different.
    AS/NZS 1554 Part 1 Clause 4.12.2 (a) states “Welders qualified to standards such as …………AS/NZS 3992……. shall be deemed to be qualified.”
    Does that not mean that an AS/NZS 3992 qualified welder can weld to any AS/NZS 1554 WPS as long as he stays within the range of his qualification ?
    Regards,
    BB

PSimon23
    Spectator

I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.

HelenJames
    Spectator

Something alike was discussed on the ask.com,i can give someone a link if anybody need it

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.