Arc energy Vs Heat input

Home Forums General Technical Arc energy Vs Heat input

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Arcforce
    Spectator

In relation to heat input does anybody know why the AS/NZS standards do not use the co effiants of procceses to calculate heat imput as in BS/EN standards? This obviusly lowers the heat imput and the WPS.

cassgazz
    Spectator

By “co-effient” do you mean “co-efficient of linear expansion”??

Arcforce
    Spectator

I am talking about the “k” factor. It is the effiacncy of the proccess to transfer arc energy into heat energy. As defined in BS EN 1011 part 1.

Heat Input Q =[k(factor) x U(Minimum Volts) x l(Minimum Amp) / Minimum Travel Speed] x 10-3

k(factor)=Tig welding 0.6 & MMA 0.8

alec.k
    Spectator

Surely, different gases would also have and effect (thinking helium derviatives)..and also the polarity i.e 2/3rds heat generated at the positive pole. So i imagine that the efficiency factor is not such an easy answer

Arcforce
    Spectator

C’mon Guru’s,
                        Why is there such a difference between the northern and southern hemishpere when it comes to this. Shurely the heat imput doesn’t react differently down here. 😮 

Inspector Gadget
    Spectator

Can others shed some light or research papers to the question, I would be interested to know why we don’t use it?

If not then I’m guessing then that it really dosen’t matter. The differences must not be substantial enough in the real world to worry about compared to on paper.

As far as i’m aware our standards and welds seem to be holding up pretty good here in Australia. I havent heard of many failures or catastrophes caused from arc energy v heat input differences. Is the extra effort and calculations really needed?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.