Alloy Steels for structural purposes

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions Alloy Steels for structural purposes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    robelesde
    Spectator

hi,

Can anyone direct me to a standard which would allow the welding of alloy steel such as AS1444-4140 to itself? This seems to be out of the scope of AS1554 parts 1 or 4. Can a procedure be qualified based on an 'unlisted' steel and use the carbon equivalence to assign a weldability group number?

thanks,

Flash
    Spectator

This is not unusual to come across this sort of situation
    in cases like this you should consult the material manufacturers data sheet for their recommendations
    You can qualify it to the likes of AS1554.1 in lieu of anything else just list the restriction on the WPS
    I hope this helps
    R
    GF

Ballbearing
    Spectator

Hi Flash,
    Wouldn’t the clause 2.1 (a)  from AS/NZS 1554 Part 1 (minimum yield strength not exceeding 500 mpa) stop you from using AS/NZS 1554 Part 1 ?
    Regards,
    BB

Flash
    Spectator

Hey BB
    I am hearing you
    but in the lieu of a recognised standard it is at least a recognised test method
    as stated previously list it as a restriction on the WPS

and the clause 1.3 Innovation, can be used as a basis for the decision
    I agreed it is not a perfect situation
    But As1554.1 not prequalified consumable and joint – testing covers most requirements
    R
    Flash

cassgazz
    Spectator

The clause 1.3 Innovation, can be used as a basis for the decision
    I agreed it is not a perfect situation
    But As1554.1 not prequalified consumable and joint – testing covers most requirements
    R
    Flash

I agree with you Flash. First run it past the client and inspector and make sure they are happy
    with it.
    AS1444-4140 steel would have a max carbon equivalent of 0.925%, which gives a weldability group
    number of 12. Use test methods for procedure qualification as though joint and consumables are
    not pre-qualified. You would also want tensile test to fracture outside the weld zone, and above the
    minimum tensile strength of the material.

Here is what it says in clause 1.3 of AS1554.1

Any alternative materials, welding processes, consumables, methods of construction or
    testing that give equivalent results to those specified, but do not comply with the specific
    requirements of this Standard or are not mentioned in it, are not necessarily prohibited.
    The Joint Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand Committee on welding of structures
    can act in an advisory capacity concerning equivalent suitability, but specific approval
    remains the prerogative of the inspecting authority.

Hope this helps,
    Regards,
    Gary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.