VRD

Home Forums General Safety VRD

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Da welder
    Spectator

What is VRD
    I have been told if I buy a new machine that I should get one with VRD
    thanks Da Welder

Ballbearing
    Spectator

Da Welder,
    As Flash has stated it is dependant on what process and application you are doing.
    Personally I hate VRDs.
    When I was back on the tools I did predominantly pipe welding with Tig, 7016s and 7018s.
    The low hydrogen electrodes are an absolute nightmare to get started with a VRD in the circuit. There may be an art to it but I never discovered it.
    A lot of machines manufactured now come with the VRD internally wired into the circuit.I would personally buy an external unit that you plug your leads into, use it when you are on a site that requires it and don’t use it when it is not a requirement.
    Good luck whichever way you go,
    Cheers,
    BB

Flash
    Spectator

VRD stands for Voltage reduction device
    typically they are only used for MMA (stick) welders and scratch start TIGs
    the purpose of them is to reduce the OCV – Open Circuit voltage to a safer level to reduce the risk of electric shock
    the latest version of AS1674.2 Safety in welding and allied processes lists three cat of environments
    Cat A, B and C
    if the temp is above 32 degrees it is automatically a cat C and requires the use of VRD
    cat B has certain requiremenst for it
    some sites particularly mines now specify that machines must be fitted with VRD
    so to answer your question, it depends on the type of machine, what you will be using it for and where
    but at the end of the day they are a good safety feature
    R
    Flash

Flash
    Spectator

good point BB
    R
    Flash

Admin
    Spectator

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.