linear weld fault

Home Forums General Inspection linear weld fault

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    strayarc
    Spectator

Hi all,
    just had some weld tests go down on linear faults but cannot seem to find any referance in the code. all tests where 4G AS/NZS 2980. Thought it may have refered to length of the coupons as I beleave one set undersize but not the on the other test peaces.  Clarification would be greatly apreaciated.

Ballbearing
    Spectator

Strayarc,
    Linear indications are generally indications where the length is more than 3 x the width of the indication. (varies between codes)
    Can be linear porosity, linear inclusions (slag etc) but they should have told you what it was.
    Saying it fails because of a linear defect is not good reporting (or interpretation) – they should nominate so the welder knows where he has gone wrong.
    Regards,
    BB

strayarc
    Spectator

thanks for that its what I thought. on the reports all it states is linear and nothing else. All of the rest of the test report is clear. Very frustrating for the welders involved as some of the welds that went in looked very ordanary. Having a 3mm  back gauge that require a weave to cover the 1G  I thought was very loose. However it passed!!

bigMac
    Spectator
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.