AS 4037 question

Home Forums General Standards and codes AS 4037 question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Arcflash
    Spectator

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum so please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section.

Currently I'm preparing for a Cert. 10 exam and my wish is that somebody could clarify an answer for me.

Question:" List the non-destructive requirements for butt welds on a class 3 piping system, group A material , 15mm wall thickness , is to be pressure tested using the pneumatic method from AS 4037?"

AS 4037-1999 note 19, states that " Piping to be pneumatic test shall have all welds that penetrate the pipe wall subject to 100% RT or UT at a test level appropriate  to the class and material of construction and all attachment welds subject to 100% MT or PT examination. ( see also Section 13)." Section 13 , clause 13.3 states, "all butt welds shall be subject to the NDE- requirements for Class 1 construction listed in Table 7.3,"

So this is my understanding, assuming an ERW pipe was used and because of the joint factor then this would be 100% RT tested, but here is my confusion, note 19 table 7.3 says "  all welds that penetrate the pipe wall subject to 100% RT or UT at a test level appropriate  to the class ," but table 7.3  Class 1 piping, Weld type B, says 10% RT/UT+MT,  clause 13.3 sends you to table 7.3.

So which is it, 100% RT or 10% RT?

Many thanks in advance.

Arcflashhttp://weldingflash.com.au/forum/Themes/Orange2Black/images/post/smiley.gif

dieselofdog
    Spectator

Class 3 piping does require any NDT other than VT. Clause 7.1 (ii)

Dek Dee
    Spectator

I think it is a trick question – pneumatic testing always requires 100% NDT,
    Cheers,
    DD

cassgazz
    Spectator

The answer they would be after, is as follows –

Due to being Class 3 piping, it is exempt from all NDT, apart from visual scanning & inspection.
    However, due to the need to undertake pneumatic testing, all butt welded joints shall be tested as though they are class 1 joints (list all required testing & percentages), and all other welds around openings, or with a throat thickness greater than 6mm, require surface Magnetic Particle Inspection to be undertaken.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.