Why 2980

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions Why 2980

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hotrod
    Spectator

Hello, i have recently aquired IWS and have been handed a job where i am straight in the deep end. However, i am coping so far. What i would like to ask is why should or why do people use AS 2980 when really AS1554 can be used  when the client is only asking for welds to comply with AS1554.  I know AS2980 tests the welder but why use it when AS1554 is cheaper for the fabricator?What is the real advantage? Sorry for a question like this for my first post but i am in need of sound advice. Thanks in advance.

cassgazz
    Spectator

HOTROD, I’ve only had a quick skim through AS2980, and found this APPENDIX E.

ISO 9606-1, upon which much of this Standard is based, has its origins in European
    welding practices, some of which vary considerably from that used throughout Australia
    and New Zealand, and similarly the USA and many Pacific Rim countries who base their
    welding practices on North American Standards and practices. This Appendix is designed to
    assist the user to identify where the key differences lay, especially for those who may be
    required to work with either ISO 9606-1 in its original form or its European equivalent.

And also this in  clause 5.1.1
    Welders, qualified to previous editions of this Standard, or to other qualification Standards
    (e.g., AS/NZS 3992), may be issued with a qualification test certificate without further
    testing provided the requirements of Clause 5.1.3 can be satisfied.

This should cover AS1554 as well.

Hope this helps,
    Regards,
    Gary

hotrod
    Spectator

Thanks for the reply. I also believe it covers AS1554 but was curious why it is used when a welder can be tested to AS1554.

Flash
    Spectator

Hi Hotrod
    welcome to the forum

you say
    I know AS2980 tests the welder but why use it when AS1554 is cheaper for the fabricator?
    my take on this is
    if you look at the period of validity of the qualification for AS2980
    you will soon realise why some fabricators choose to use it
    it also allows a greater range of thicknesses to be qualified .5t to 2t
    also have a look at the table that shows you what materials cover other materials and you will also see so other advantages
    this amongst other reasons is why it is attractive
    some of the testing is easier to eg RT only for certain processes

I hope this helps
    congrats on your IWS
    good luck
    R
    Flash

Phil R
    Spectator

Guys AS/NZS 2980 is specific to Welder Qualifications and it clearly defines all the essential elements of WQs.
    there are no grey areas as is the case with the AS/NZS 1554 series. 2980 details material thicknesses qualified for butts, fillets and  lists pipe dia. Refer to Tables 2.7 (A), 2.7 (B) and 2.7(C) .It also includes the thickness range for single & multi-process joints for butt welds Table 2.2.& 2.9 (A)
    It clarifies the range of qualification for welding consumables and list the requirements for fillet welds qualification for single and multi-layer welds. Table 2.9 (B).
    NDE & DT are more comprehensive and this gives greater satisfaction in regard to the integrity of the joint with a fracture test and/or at least two Macro for fillets and RT and bends or fracture for Butts.
    I would much rather see all refernces to WQs removed from the 1554 series and WQ done strictly to 2980.
    AS/NZS 1554.6 S/S Structural is a beast and 2980 can make your life considerably more comfortable from a WQ perspective.
    FP

Flash
    Spectator

Hey Phil
    I have often thought about the idea of removing not just welder quals but procedures as well from the AS/NZS 1554 suite and having a generic standard much like ASME IX and AS/NZS3992.

Interestingly the PE standards have gone this way but not the structural like D1.1
    I reckon the generic standard like AS3992 makes the main code easier to navigate and makes alot of sense
    having said that when they introduced AS3992, AS4037, AS4458 it took some getting used to after being so used to using AS1210 etc
    R
    Flash

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.