New Mig

Home Forums General MIG/GMA New Mig

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    marc1
    Spectator

Hi there! New to this forum.

After a few decades of stick welding I finaly got around buying a new Mig welder. Got Cigweld Transmig 250 compact. Works a treat.

Now comes the question. So far only used it a few days on small stuff and plugged it in a 15 amp powerpoint I have in my powerboard.
    Called the electrician to wire a 15AMP plug at the back in my shed.
    Electrician asks to read the back of the machine and see what sort of current I need.
    To my dismay this is what I found: There are two tables one for "190" amps and the other for "250" amps. On the 190 amp table it says that the lead and 15 amp plug supplied by factory is OK (thank you for that) and now, if you want to weld up to 250 amp, you must change the lead and plug to 35 amp
    Are they serious?
    This is like buying a car and be told that if you want to go more than 60KPH you have to change the wheels.
    Rung my local electrical wholesaler and asked for a 35 amp powerpoint only to be told there is no such thing, only 32 or 40. Not a good start.
    Now in 32 amp you have the domestic flat pin and the industrial line, round pin. Domestic is $39 dollars, industrial is $200. Considering I want also an extension lead, and I will need a powerpoint plus a plug for the machine plus another plug and a femal plug fort he extension lead I am already over $700, so as a hobby blacksmith, forget it, go domestic.
    Now surprise surprise, they make powerpoints and plugs for 32 amp domestic flat pin but not female plug for an extension cord. So I now must build a lead with a male plug and a floor box with a wall powerpoint built in.

So what's the question?
    Why on earth dont they supply the machine with the appropriate lead and socket to start with?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.