AS1554.1 weld procedure qual question

Home Forums General AS1554 Questions AS1554.1 weld procedure qual question

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    1972Shooter
    Spectator

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum, and what a great little forum it is, good job guys.

I have a question regarding weld procedure qualification,

At the start of a project i look through all the drawings and see that this project has a range of butt welds required to be welded in the 4G position ranging from 10mm thk up to 70mm thk carbon steel grade 250 and 350.

My understanding is that weld procedure quals would need to be run in 12mm thk (to cover 9mm to 18mm), 25mm thk (to cover 18.75mm to 37.5mm) and 36mm thk (to cover up to unlimited), if this is correct, do all the procedures need to be run in the 4G position or will 1G position cover these weld procedure quals? Refering to Table 4.11A(k).

Would the mechanical properties of the 4G position weld procedure be greatly different from the 1G position after testing?

Also, when all these weld procedures are qualified, will the welders require testing to 4G in all these thicknesses or will one thickness cover all these? because its the welder skill we are evaluating at this stage not the weld procedure.
    This question refers to WTIA tech note 11 A4.12.2 "All welders must qualify for each weld procedure to be used on the job……….."

Hope you can assist, its an area that is difficult to sink in at the moment,

Cheers

1972shooter

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.