AS 1796 cert 8F

Home Forums General FCAW AS 1796 cert 8F

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brogden-85
    Spectator

I have just inrolled in my cert 8F AS 1796 I went fo my cert 7 last year I missed out and will do it again. I mainly use FCAW at work so I thought I would do my cert 8F then go back I cert 7 any way.. My question is what are the exact welding requiermaent in the 8F I know I will find out once the course starst but am too curious and want to know now waht positions I can expect 4F 4G ext will there be any pipe welds? if all FCAW i would guess that any pipe root would have to be done in the 1G position..

control-arc
    Spectator

the fcaw 8F ticket requires you to do 4 welds they are:
    3 pass horizontal fillet (2F) 
    vertical up fillet (3F)
    horizontal butt weld (2G)
    and 1G rotating butt weld on pipe

Brogden-85
    Spectator

thank you. sounds good the only weld I would not do every day would be the pipe root with FCAW (is it a full pen weld)

Flash
    Spectator

Yes it is full pen

This has always been a bone of contention because no one does it every day as GS FCAW is not suited to it
    I am sure the college you are going to will have an answer how they tackle it
    some use GMAW for the root
    Good luck

Brogden-85
    Spectator

cool I am sure I will find out on the 8/2/11 when I attend my first class for the year. I would br loving life if i can do the root with TIG then FCAW fill/cap

Flash
    Spectator

GMAW root is bending the rules
    GTAW would be just throwing the rule book out
    but this is what the standard should change to as this is more like industry practice
    R
    GF

Flash
    Spectator

Hey Brog
    what you doing your root on the pipe with
    R
    Flash

Brogden-85
    Spectator

lincoln 71-T using a mix gas argon and Co2

bojan
    Spectator

Hello everyone,
    im going to tafe next year to do my 8f ticket.. i would love some tip and tricks to help me pass.. maybe some videos or web links to help out.. cheers all

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.