309L in the 5F position

Home Forums General MIG/GMA 309L in the 5F position

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Inspector Gadget
    Spectator

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has had any success welding 0.9mm 309L Stainless steel in the 5F position? Welding 321 Stainless steel pipe to Low carbon plate.

Any info woud be greatly appreciated.

Flash
    Spectator

GMAW-Pulse, with a helium mix gas would be a good start
    R

cassgazz
    Spectator

Haven’t welded any S/S pipe that thin with 309 wire, however welding S/S plate to C/S plate we used 309L wire in a Fronius TPS 2700 machine. Gas used if I remember correctly was Argoshield Heavy.

I found that the Austalian Edition TPS2700 machine was far better than the normal TPS2700.  This is due to the Aust model having a specific setting for 309 wire. More noticeable in out of position welding. Can’t remember if pulse was used – don’t think it was – but for 0.9mm pipe, I would recommend it.

Regards,
    Gary.

Flash
    Spectator

was it Stainshield heavy or Argoshield Heavy the later would have too much CO2 I would have thought
    thanks for your input Gaz
    R
    Flash

cassgazz
    Spectator

This was going back about 4 years ago now. I’m pretty sure it was Argoshield heavy.  I remember the bottle being the same color as the argoshield universal, just with darker band on the top.

Stainshield also has the black band on top, which I can’t recall seeing.

Having said that though, I have used Argoshield universal for 309 wire. This was just general maintenance welding though.

Regards,
    Gary

mkseogirl
    Spectator

I have never tried for this kind of thin stuff..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.